I am not really into baking much, but seeing a few of my freinds who bake such wonderful cakes. I was tempted to try!
Hence, my baking journey started here. The Red Velvet Cupcake that I would like to try to mimic! Apparently, it made famous at the "New York’s Waldorf Astoria hotel, these cakes are five star. Simple to make yet spectacular as a centrepiece, these red velvet cakes with cream cheese icing are luxurious." (Quoted from taste.com.au)
I've looked on the "http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28927/red+velvet+cupcakes" website and followed the recipie.
Apparently, Its suppose to look like this
But mine turned out to be looking a bit sad, like this image below.
The recipie details as below
- 350g (2 1/3 cups) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 185ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons red food colouring
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Dollar Sweets Fairy Fives sprinkles, to decorate frosting
- 250g pkt cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 195g (1 1/4 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line eighteen 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar
- Whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs, food colouring and vinegar in a jug until combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide the mixture among the prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Pipe the icing over the cupcakes and top with the sprinkles.
After thoughts -
I should had left the red velvet cupcake in the oven for a bit longer. As the recipe said 20-25mins in the oven each oven is different hence mine should be left in the oven for an extra 5 mins.
My cream cheese icing not sweet enough. I put in 100g instead of 195g of sugar.